db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Best choice for column's data type to represent boolean data
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 19:53:37 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> Two issues block the introduction of a BOOLEAN datatype:
>
> 1) We need DRDA support in order to transport this type across our
> network layer. I am cautiously optimistic that we will see this type
> appear in the DRDA spec early in 2007. So, soon, this issue will not
> block us.

I don't see this as blocking adding BOOLEAN into the SQL language, we
have the XML type which is supported in SQL but not JDBC. Incremental
development is good.

> 2) DERBY-887, as you note, also blocks us. The behavior of certain casts
> would have to change and that, we believe, would significantly impact
> existing applications. Our rules about backwards compatibility suggest
> that this kind of change can only occur in a major release. That, as you
> note, would be Derby 11.0.

I don't believe enough analysis of this cast issues has happened to
decide if adding BOOLEAN would require 11.0 or not. I still really can't
figure out from all the comments in DERBY-887 what people expected to
happen with the strange queries like id = (0<3) and what does happen.
And were those DERBY-887 tests run before the BOOLEAN patch was
committed or after?

I would encourage those that want BOOLEAN and are willing to work on it
to come to the derby developer list and kick off the discussion there.

Dan.