db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Best choice for column's data type to represent boolean data
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 19:02:49 GMT
Hi Ian,

Two issues block the introduction of a BOOLEAN datatype:

1) We need DRDA support in order to transport this type across our
network layer. I am cautiously optimistic that we will see this type
appear in the DRDA spec early in 2007. So, soon, this issue will not
block us.

2) DERBY-887, as you note, also blocks us. The behavior of certain casts
would have to change and that, we believe, would significantly impact
existing applications. Our rules about backwards compatibility suggest
that this kind of change can only occur in a major release. That, as you
note, would be Derby 11.0.

A lot of people have requested a BOOLEAN datatype. At the same time,
other people are concerned about backward compatibility. This topic
unfortunately pits two groups of users against each other.

Regards,
-Rick