db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ralf Wiebicke <ralf.wiebi...@exedio.com>
Subject Re: renaming columns
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:10:42 GMT

Hi Stanley!

Thank you for your detailed answer. I'm currently mainly looking for an
alternative to hsqldb. I'm maintaining a persistence framework (cope). We
don't use hsqldb for production, but for testing a VM-contained database is
just so convenient.

Until recently, hsqldb did the job. But then I realized, that for proper
implementation of queries across inheritance I need  joins with parenthesis.
Something like "select * from t t1 join (t t2 join t t3 on t2.a=t3.a)  on
t1.a=t2.a"

Derby can do this, MySQL, Oracle and PostgreSQL as well, but not Hsqldb. Also
hsqldb does not support transaction isolation (although the jdbc driver says
so). So I hope, that derby and hsqldb complement each other, so I can have a
full test of the framework just with hsqldb and derby combined.

Best regards,
Ralf.