db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Using Derby as a binary store
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:38:42 GMT
Kasper Nielsen <news@kav.dk> writes:

> David Van Couvering wrote:
>> To be honest, this looks more like a job for BDB than for Derby.  I
>> would love to see the Derby store API made public at some point, but
>> currently it's not public and I suspect it may be difficult to work
>> with.  Are there reasons BDB/Java won't work for you?
>
> Not besides the license:)
>
> Its for an BSD licensed project, so BDB is pretty much out of the picture.

According to David's recent blog

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/davidvc/archive/2006/11/oracle_benchmar_1.html

"The BDB license is clear: if your product that uses BDB is
closed-source, or you want indemnification, then you need to us pony
up $$$ for the commercial license. If your product is open source, you
can use the BDB open source license, which is a variant of a BSD
license."

So if your project is BSD also, shouldn't you be able to use BDB in
it?

--
dt