db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Olav Sandstå" <ola...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: does Derby has some form of performance problem ?
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 08:21:09 GMT
On 04/11/06, legolas wood <legolas.w@gmail.com> wrote:
> so it is not normal that it takes 30 seconds for a system with one 100MB
> database ?

No, it should not be normal that it takes 30 seconds to start Derby. I
have done a small test where I inserted 100MB of data into Derby and
did a proper shutdown. In a new JVM I started Derby again and measured
the time it took to load the embedded driver and getting the first
connection to the database, ie. the time the following two lines of
code takes:

   Class.forName(driver).newInstance();
   Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(jdbcUrl);

I repeated this experiment 10 times and in all cases it took between
1.0 seconds and 1.1 seconds to start Derby (to run the two lines
above). This was done a on Pentium 4 desktop PC.

I do not think the startup time should be much influenced by the size
of the database given that you do a proper shutdown.

Regards,
Olav