db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Sisilla Sookdeo" <sisil...@paramounttransport.com>
Subject comparisons are not supported for long varchar datatype
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:29:03 GMT
Hello All,

I am trying to create a table with a field of type 'LONG VARCHAR,' but I
keep getting the following error message:

An error has occurred during execution: Columns of type "LONG VARCHAR'
may not be used in CREATE INDEX, ORDER BY, GROUP BY, UNION, INTERSECT,
EXCEPT or DISTINCT statements because comparisons are not supported for
that type.

Am I missing something here? I am using Derby 10.2.1.6 on Windows XP
Professional. I tried executing the following SQL code in NetBeans IDE:

CREATE TABLE Personnel

(

            PTTEmployeeID LONG VARCHAR NOT NULL,

            NationalID VARCHAR(55) NOT NULL,