db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Segel" <mse...@mycingular.blackberry.net>
Subject Re: maximum file size
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:52:10 GMT
Its always a good idea to think about possible solutions.

But its a different matter when you go to implement said solution.. In this case the decision
not to use derby would be the optimal solution.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

You could implement a table partitioning solution. You would have to create the stored procedure
that would create the partitions and the view.  If you add a partition table, you would have
to add it to the view. You would also have to write the stored procedure to perform the insert
called from the view's before insert trigger.   Cascading deletes should take care of that
problem, and of course each table would need its own index. (Imagine the index on the view??)

Performance would not be on par with either ids db2 or oracle. But you would have a "working"
solution.

With respect to constraints, constraints are for the most part artificial. (In this context).
 If chosing another database is not an option, then you have larger problems. But hey! This
is open source. You could always solve the problem yourself.

I have to get back to work... I have this room filled with an infinite number of monkeys and
they claim to have a modernized version of one of shakespears plays and they want me to see
if I could get bruce willis to play the lead... What can I say?  May be it was a bad idea
to put bruce willis under contract but I thought that  maybe one day he'll learn to act...
 So much for the toolbox theory... :-)

( Sorry its been a long week and I'm up to myarmpits in code... )
Sent via BlackBerry.

-Mike Segel
Principal
MSCC