db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Segel" <mse...@mycingular.blackberry.net>
Subject Re: comparisons are not supported for long varchar datatype
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:56:29 GMT
It sounds like a java error. Does the LONGVARCHAR overload the comparesTo() method?
Sent via BlackBerry.

-Mike Segel
Principal
MSCC
312 952 8175

-----Original Message-----
From: "Sisilla Sookdeo" <sisillas@paramounttransport.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:29:03
To:<derby-user@db.apache.org>
Subject: comparisons are not supported for long varchar datatype

Hello All,

I am trying to create a table with a field of type ‘LONG VARCHAR,’ but I keep getting
the following error message:

An error has occurred during execution: Columns of type “LONG VARCHAR’ may not be used
in CREATE INDEX, ORDER BY, GROUP BY, UNION, INTERSECT, EXCEPT or DISTINCT statements because
comparisons are not supported for that type.

Am I missing something here? I am using Derby 10.2.1.6 on Windows XP Professional. I tried
executing the following SQL code in NetBeans IDE:

CREATE TABLE Personnel

(

            PTTEmployeeID LONG VARCHAR NOT NULL,

            NationalID VARCHAR(55) NOT NULL,