db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kasper Nielsen <n...@kav.dk>
Subject Re: Using Derby as a binary store
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:51:25 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Kasper Nielsen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm evaluating Derby for a project of mine. I really would like to
>>> avoid using SQL and just use Derby as a binary store. Is this possible?
>>>
>>> My data consists of key -> value pairs where the keys are uniformly
>>> distributed 160 bit numbers and the values are byte arrays.
>>>
>>> For now, I need to support 2 basic queries
>>> * Give me the value mapping for the key K or null if it doesn't exist.
>>> * Give me a map of (key->value)  for the key range of key_start to
>>> key_end.
>>>
>>> I had a look at the org.apache.derby.iap.store packages but wasn't
>>> quite sure where to start.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>  Kasper
>>>

>> Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll go ahead and create some
>> test cases and find out whatever overhead (space/performance) is
>> involved.
>>
>> For those interested,
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table pretty much
>> describes the usage. Because you a providing a general platform you
>> want to limit the storage functionality to simple put/get (key->value)
>> operations. Which is why I don't really need any advanced features. To
>> build more more advanced functionally (indexing, redundancy, ...) any
>> user must build on top of these put/get primitives.
>
> Hi Kasper,
>
> Just as a side note, I once implemented a simple DHT using the Chord
> algorithm and Berkeley DB Java Edition. But this was some time ago and
> before Oracle acquired BDB.

I actually just found a whitepaper
"Oracle Berkeley DB Java Edition vs Apache Derby: A Performance Comparison"

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/pdf/je-derby-performance.pdf

Just copying there conclusion here:

"The Berkeley DB Java Edition Persistence API is a high performance,
complete solution for Java object persistence. Berkeley DB Java Edition
performance exceeds Derby performance in every test, by a factor of 3 to
10, clearly demonstrating the superior performance of Berkeley DB Java
Edition"

Cheers
   Kasper