db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Using Derby as a binary store
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:36:26 GMT
Kasper Nielsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm evaluating Derby for a project of mine. I really would like to
>> avoid using SQL and just use Derby as a binary store. Is this possible?
>>
>> My data consists of key -> value pairs where the keys are uniformly
>> distributed 160 bit numbers and the values are byte arrays.
>>
>> For now, I need to support 2 basic queries
>> * Give me the value mapping for the key K or null if it doesn't exist.
>> * Give me a map of (key->value)  for the key range of key_start to
>> key_end.
>>
>> I had a look at the org.apache.derby.iap.store packages but wasn't
>> quite sure where to start.
>>
>> Cheers
>>  Kasper
>>

> Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll go ahead and create some
> test cases and find out whatever overhead (space/performance) is involved.
>
> For those interested,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table pretty much
> describes the usage. Because you a providing a general platform you want
> to limit the storage functionality to simple put/get (key->value)
> operations. Which is why I don't really need any advanced features. To
> build more more advanced functionally (indexing, redundancy, ...) any
> user must build on top of these put/get primitives.

Hi Kasper,

Just as a side note, I once implemented a simple DHT using the Chord
algorithm and Berkeley DB Java Edition. But this was some time ago and
before Oracle acquired BDB.

It was a fun exercise :) Please let us hear if Derby meets the
performance requirements for your DHT, or if there is too much overhead.

regards,
--
Kristian