db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kasper Nielsen <n...@kav.dk>
Subject Re: Using Derby as a binary store
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:57:00 GMT
Kasper Nielsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating Derby for a project of mine. I really would like to avoid
> using SQL and just use Derby as a binary store. Is this possible?
>
> My data consists of key -> value pairs where the keys are uniformly
> distributed 160 bit numbers and the values are byte arrays.
>
> For now, I need to support 2 basic queries
> * Give me the value mapping for the key K or null if it doesn't exist.
> * Give me a map of (key->value)  for the key range of key_start to key_end.
>
> I had a look at the org.apache.derby.iap.store packages but wasn't quite
> sure where to start.
>
> Cheers
>  Kasper

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll go ahead and create some
test cases and find out whatever overhead (space/performance) is involved.

For those interested,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table pretty much
describes the usage. Because you a providing a general platform you want
to limit the storage functionality to simple put/get (key->value)
operations. Which is why I don't really need any advanced features. To
build more more advanced functionally (indexing, redundancy, ...) any
user must build on top of these put/get primitives.

Some applications might primarily be providing storage to users. So not
much work for any of the nodes except routing and storing. Which is why
I'm interested in a low overhead storage mechanism without to much cruft.

- Kasper