db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: Using Derby as a binary store
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:31:41 GMT
Paul J DeCoursey wrote:
> What is this binary data you are storing?  Have you looked at
> Jackrabbit? Have you thought about just using java.nio and perhaps
> Lucene fro indexing? Definitely consider the above questions as well,
> look at the bigger picture.

Actually we were initially using plain files to store the data.  It
turned out to be more efficient to use SQL to store them because the
glut of smaller files caused issues on NTFS.

But I consider NTFS to be a legacy filesystem.  On modern filesystems
like ReiserFS, it would probably be quite efficient.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd