db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Does Derby support Transaction Logging ?
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:44:27 GMT
Yes, derby is not there yet -- but with the online backup work done in
10.2 it is very close.  The problem is that there is no support for
coordination of taking and applying the logs in step 3.  Also what
do you want to be doing on server_2 during/after this process.

I think this is a smallish project to create a readonly standby backup
server (on the order of month's) for someone
who already knows how to work with derby.  The missing pieces now
are:
o enhance the online backup code to allow for copying the log files
   in some coordinated fashion.  Currently it just keeps the existing
   logs where they are forever.  An easy first step would be to just
   enable a callout everytime there is a log switch.

o Allow for a standby server to sit around, allow only readonly
   access to data.  Apply log files as they are fed in.  Maybe get locks
   on log record application (existing code for this exists as part of
   XA redo).

Now allowing write access on the standby while taking log files is
way more difficult.