db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Does Derby support ASSERTION?
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:06:17 GMT
Sisilla Sookdeo wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I tried executing the following SQL code in NetBeans IDE:
>

> CREATE ASSERTION PartialRetiringEquipment
>
> CHECK
>
> (
>
> (SELECT COUNT (R.PTTEquipmentID) FROM RetiredEquipment R) < =
>
> (SELECT COUNT (All.PTTEquipmentID) FROM Equipment All)
>
>  )
>

> I received the following error message:
>
> An error has occurred during execution: Syntax error: Encountered
> “ASSERTION” at line 1, column 8
>

> I am using Derby 10.2.1.6 on Windows XP Professional. I appreciate any help.

Hello Sisilla,

According to http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/SQLvsDerbyFeatures , Derby
does not support SQL assertions.
If you think this feature should make it into Derby, feel free to log a
new feature request at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY

The only work-around I can think of at the moment, is to use a set of
triggers (maybe in combination with a check constraint in a helper
table), but this would not be very pretty...
(would have to try it out to make sure it works as well!)

regards,
--
Kristian