db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: derby-user Digest 19 Nov 2006 19:25:53 -0000 Issue 426
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:16:43 GMT
Eric Blenkush wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2006, at 11:25 AM, derby-user-digest-help@db.apache.org
> <mailto:derby-user-digest-help@db.apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stephen,
>>

>> I tried out your web-based Derby manager.
>>
>> It seemed to work very well, except that my X server freaked out about
>> drawing those Mac graphics!
>>
>> (took all cpu for quite long every time a new window/frame was
>> created, or when I used the scroll bars)
>>

>> Don't really know what else you could have added, as I'm not using
>> these kind of tools much. On first sight, I did not miss any basic
>> features related to manipulating the contents of the database.
>>
>> I did not see any interface for backing up/restoring the database or
>> letting another user access the database, but maybe I missed it or
>> this kind of functionality might be out of scope.
>>
>> I would recommend users more experienced with management systems to
>> try it out and comment on it!
>>

> Kristian,
>
> Thanks for the comments. Acutally you can backup a derby database using
> our manager. You have to be logged in as a derby system level user. Then
> go to the "Internal Databases" tab, select the database you want to
> backup and click the popup menu. You can then either delete the database
> or back it up.
>
> On the same tab you can also create new databases.
>
> As far as giving access to other users they just need access to the
> server that is running our manager and a login and password for the
> derby database. You can create new derby users on the "Internal
> Database" tab if needed.

Thanks for the information Eric,

My one experience with the manager was a few minutes of playing with it,
and I have not read any documentation, so I suppose there are other
things I missed as well.

The downside for me was not with the manager itself, but the excessive
resource usage by X when handling the Mac Os X-like graphics. Must be a
bug somewhere on my Linux box.

--
Kristian