db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ODBC
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:19:37 GMT
lothianmail-derby@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The Derby website lhttp://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby#head-df9797cbbfc50b7990efd862bb7779b92df9d087
lists as ODBC drivers:
>* Carob
>* IDM Runtime Client
>
>It should be noted that Carob via ODBCSequoia is only available for Linux at the moment
and the IDM Runtime Client is not a driver which can be distributed with a Derby based application.
I have not had a chance to review the other driver listed http://opendrda.sourceforge.net/
but would be interested to learn if anyone has had any success with this.

>As far as I am aware, there is no distributable Windows access to Derby via ODBC, which
is a shame because otherwise it's a terrific database. Incidentally, has anyone heard of a
generic ODBC-JDBC bridge which could be used?

>Calum Miller

Hi Calum,

I presume in your mail you meant IBM Runtime Client.

 >As far as I am aware, there is no distributable Windows access to
Derby via ODBC, which is
 > a shame because otherwise it's a terrific database.

In fact  there does exist a distributable DB2 Runtime-Time Lite client
(RTCL) only for Windows.  This provide ODBC connectivity
and works fine with Derby. More info about RTCL at:

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/runtime.html

Downloads for different locales/install packages (you may need to
register first):

https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/reg/download.do?source=rtcl&S_PKG=dl&lang=en_US&cp=UTF-8

Do post to the list if you have further Derby related questions.

Regards,
Rajesh