db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Large IN clause produces server error
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:38:28 GMT
>>> If rewriting the query is not an option, what alternatives are there to
>>> overcome this limitation?

What version of Derby are you using? (Apologies if you already said that
and I missed it). If you are using a version prior to 10.2, you should
definitely try 10.2, as there was a *lot* of work in the code generation
portion of Derby to avoid hitting class file format limits.

If you are using the latest version of Derby, then you may be somewhat
stuck, as the class file format limits are hard limits and there is no
JVM tuning parameter to get around them. The only solution is either to
express a simpler query, or modify Derby's code generation algorithms
so that we don't bump up against these class file format limitations.

There was a great discussion on this topic about 2 months ago on this
list. Dan Debrunner gave several pointers to background material with
more information in those messages. You can read them starting here:
http://www.nabble.com/Inserting-NULL-values-with-the-embedded-driver-tf2227777.html#a6191125

In my opinion, if you can reproduce your problem with the 10.2 release
of Derby, and if you can package up a small standalone test case with
your DDL and with the SQL statement that demonstrates the class file format
problem, then you should log a new request in Jira to track the problem.

thanks,

bryan