db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby causes appserver hang with "maxthreads"
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:48:06 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>>  When I tried to set the timeSlice (tried value 2000, used
>> NetworkServerControl to set it), the third connection succeeded, but
>> it failed when I issued a query on it (see error message below).
>
> Hi Kristian,
>
> I think this is DERBY-1856?

Yes, I think that is correct.

I'm wondering in what kind of state this code/functionality is. For
instance, I learned about the code in ClientThread that sets a timeout
on the socket, along with a comment saying this looks very suspicious...
I tried commenting out the code setting the socket timeout, but you
still get errors.

To work around this issue, I think the number of connections/threads
should either be unlimited (as in the embedded setup) or limited by
another mechanism (say, a connection pool in an appserver). The
derby.drda.maxThreads property does work, but without time slicing, the
(maxThreads +1)th concurrent connection will hang until another one
disconnects.

regards,
--
Kristian