db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why booleans as Strings?
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 23:16:09 GMT
Marc Schlegel wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Why do I have to write the "create" and "startup" properties as a
> String? It would be much more convenient with a boolean type.
> Or are there any architectural issues.

If this is for the Derby data source properties then I think it was just
an initial mistake, but for backwards compatibility it needs to be kept.

One possible solution is for Derby to add new boolean properties such as
createDB and shutdownDB and deprecate the old versions. Just would need
some clear rules on how the two properties interact.

Dan.