db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Heap and stack size for Derby server
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 10:30:28 GMT
Robert Enyedi wrote:

> Thanks for all of your replies, but I'm not saying that we have a bug
> here. It's just that for large IN clauses there are many levels of
> recursive calls in the server.

In some cases, whether it is a bug or not depends on the eye of the beholder. As
someone already mentioned, one reason why you have not seen many "best
practices" when it comes to heap/stack size may be that it usually works.

In the event that someone encounters a case like this (StackOverflow), it is
nice to see that derby developers catch interest and start investigating to find
out more. Hopefully the issue can be resolved so that the best practices can
continue to be "use the defaults" in most environments.

> This reminded me of the other runtime memory limit, the heap. And so I
> asked for some best practices on sizing these.

The only one I can think of is "make sure your Java heap can fit your page cache".

--
John