db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Failed to start database with Derby/Websphere
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:11:30 GMT
Suraj Batuwana wrote:

>Hi ,
>
>I have received following server side and client side(inside junit test
>classes) when I am running my application's nightly build for Websphere
>6.0.2.5 with derby10.2.1.6. I have used IBM JDK 1.4.2 which comes with my
>Websphere
>
>I have used the org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver as the jdbc driver and
>jdbc:derby:TestDB as
>the database URL
>
>Client side errors from the junit test classes
>Can't connect to url=jdbc:derby:TestDB
>java.sql.SQLException: Failed to start database 'TestDB', see the next
>exception for details.
>	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown
>Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.newSQLException(Unknown
>Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.bootDatabase(Unknown Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30.<init>(Unknown Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver30.getNewEmbedConnection(Unknown Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
>	at org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
>
>from the server side error was (Webphere server.log)
>
>Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Failed to start database
>'E:\source\database\TestDB', see the next exception for details.DSRA0010E:
>SQL State = XJ040, Error Code = 40,000DSRA0010E: SQL State = XJ040, Error
>Code = 40,000
>	at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor498.newInstance(Unknown Source)
>	at
>sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java(Compiled
>Code))
>	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java(Compiled
>Code))
>	at
>com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.GenericDataStoreHelper.mapExceptionHelper(GenericDataStoreHelper.java:501)
>	at
>com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.GenericDataStoreHelper.mapException(GenericDataStoreHelper.java:544)
>	at
>com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.spi.WSRdbDataSource.getPooledConnection(WSRdbDataSource.java:1037)
>
>I have used the follings to create websphere derby datasource
>	implementing class
>"org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedConnectionPoolDataSource"
>	implementing class for XA     "org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedXADataSource"
>	dataSource Helper Class Name
>"com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.DerbyDataStoreHelper"

> [...]
Hi Suraj,

As I understand from your mail, you are trying to use two independent
databases  -
#1) at client, using the Embedded Driver
#2) at the server.using DataSource

What is the database location in #1 ? For # 2, looks like the db is
located in  E:\source\database
Is it possible,  both the applications are trying to boot the same
database - TestDB ?

*For Embedded, a Derby database can be booted only from a single JVM.
If you want multiple JVMs to
connect to a database - use the Network Server to start the database.*

Anyways, from the exception in your mail above it seems  the database is
already booted (by some other process or hanging Java process from
previous runs ?) , hence neither #1 nor #2  could boot the db.

-Rajesh