db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Heap and stack size for Derby server
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:40:21 GMT
Robert Enyedi wrote:
> Does the lack of answers mean that there are no best practices in
> setting the stack and heap limits for Derby?

Well, not specifically, that I know of. It all depends on how you (and clients
connecting to your server) are using Derby.

Default stack sizes work very well in most cases. I have little experience with
StackOverflowErrors myself, but there are several Jira issues you can check out
for comments on adjusting _heap_ size, for example DERBY-1713
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1713) and DERBY-1564.

I guess someone with more knowledge about Derby's internals may be able to tell
you why your specific query requires a larger stack size.

As for heap size, I would not run the network server with any less than 32 MB of
max heap space, regardless of the client code. Most of the tests I've run
against Derby work fine with default heap size (usually minimum 64 MB max size,
depending on JVM and hardware). Your mileage may vary...

--
John