db-derby-user mailing list archives

From S <s.mailingli...@gmail.com>
Subject table size estimation
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 11:01:29 GMT
This is a follow up email to my earlier posting regarding storage. Based on
the query given,

select * from NEW org.apache.derby.diag.SpaceTable('SYS','SYSTABLES') AS x;

using it for my table, the estimated size of a record is coming to be 131
bytes. The table consists of 5 bigints, 3 smallints, 1 timestamp and a
varchar. The avg length of the varchar is 14chars. So, total size of the
record size should have been 5*8+3*2+14+(bytes for timestamp)+any additional
per field/record data all put together shouldn't be more than 70/80 bytes.
So, why am I getting 131 bytes?