db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Mike" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject RE: Using Derby as a binary store
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:12:20 GMT

Paul,
It wasn't my question.

I was responding to the earlier thread.

Hand coding or using freely available tools is up to the user and their
personal preference.

For example, I wrote my own calendar DB and surrounding app. I could have
used one that was freely available, but since I wanted a custom look and
feel, plus my own hooks in to my app framework, it was just as easy for me
to do this on my own.

When designing custom apps, its sometimes easier, efficient, and frankly
more fun when you develop your own code, rather than try to make a "free"
package fit your needs.

The question at hand wasn't about which other off topic tool to choose, but
whether or not to choose derby.

Since Derby doesn't support the Boolean data type and he doesn't see value
elsewhere in his app for a relational database store, then he should look
elsewhere.