db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: does Derby has some form of performance problem ?
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:49:03 GMT
> Hi
> Thank you for reading my post
> i want to know whether this benchmark result is correct or not.

All benchmarks are correct. You just have to figure out what the
benchmark actually tests and then interpret the results in the proper
context. It may or may not be relevant for your application.

When it comes to H2, I would recomend that you read page 43 in the H2
documentation about durability: "This database does not guarantee that
all committed transactions survive a power failure".  Durability comes
at a cost, it's as simple as that.

> we are using derby as embedded database and it took a long time to start
> the database.
> we use a proper shutdown every time we are leaving the application.
> does any one here used derby for real world jobs (embedded mode) that
> database size growth to +100 MB ?
>
> benchmark result
> http://www.h2database.com/html/frame.html?performance.html&main
>
> is it usual for derby to take 20-30 seconds to start ?
> does startup time depend on database size ?

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway