db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Segel" <mse...@mycingular.blackberry.net>
Subject Re: maximum file size
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:04:31 GMT
Let me clarify.
My suggestion was that
You are essentially creating a poor man's mpp and the local temp table is on a "control" node.
 The temp table holds the result set returned from each query. This assumes that while the
table may exceed the 4 gig limit, a query should not. True if this assumption is wrong, then
clearly derby is not the right tool in the first place.

Using. Multiple copies of the same table doesn' really solve the problem.

What you end up having is a set of tabls foo_n where n is the table number.  Then to do your
query, you would have to create a view foo_v that you query from to hide the detail from the
app and user.  This would be an implementation of a poor man's table partitioning.

It could be done , however you now have to write a pre-insert trigger to determine which table
to store the data.  Then what happens when you overload the table? ( Suppose you partition
on a time period and the amount of data exceeds 4gb?)
( Talk about a set of complex stored procedures)
Yes it could be done using derby today.
So too could you do a poor man's mpp version as well. ( Although it would be a bit more work
on the controlling app's side.)

The point of my post is that while these solutions are possible, it would be better to use
a database more suited to the task, or actually enhance derby to improve their storage options.
However this would mean that you would have to rethink derby, and the design may change radically
enough you would end up with a new product aka "stormcloud".

Note: while this isn't rocket science it would require a concerted effort that goes beyond
what you could do under Apache.
Hint: in theory, Sun could start with Derby and create their own database aka "stormcloud"
and then run with it.
(Look at Apache's license.)

Actually anyone could do this, but it would take some deep pockets to support a multiple man
year effort.

the original poster is trying to use a yugo to pull a loaded semi up a steep hill.

Sent via BlackBerry.

-Mike Segel
Principal
MSCC