db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Segel" <mse...@mycingular.blackberry.net>
Subject Re: [OT] Two suggestions on list management...
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:05:37 GMT
Cute. Now if you said that SPAM was high in sodium, hence bad for you,
Then you'd be in hot water with hormel...

Back to being serious for a moment.

I try to set up aliases for each time I join a mailing list, or sign up for a web page.

So when I get spam to that address, I know where the leak occured.

For those who run their own domain and mail server, this is extremely easy to do.

Sine I am getty spam to my derby I'd, I know its being gleamed from this list.
Most likely when it gets put on the web as an archive.  Hence the suggestion for munging the
address on the archive site.

The other suggestion was to add a tag to the subject line. It should be pretty easy to do

Using yourself as an example,
You have one alias for all of your apache stuff.  Imagine how nice it would be to be able
to sort your e mail box on this tag so that you don't get your in mail boxed swamped...  You
just go to the folder that has your derby stuff and you can concentrate on derby...

Also if you wanted to, you could filter spam based on mail going to derby that either doesn't
have the filter tag, or is on the white list of senders.

And if you want to get fancy, you couldstore this in a derby database.

Dovecot has hooks so you can use mysql.  (Any db should work)

Now that would be a practicle exercise...

And if you want to take this a step further you could create virtual mailboxes for your users
Sent via BlackBerry.

-Mike Segel
312 952 8175