db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Newsham" <jnews...@referentia.com>
Subject StackOverflowError
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:21:20 GMT

Any reason why I should get a stack overflow error with the following query?

Yes, I know the query is a bit odd... it's not hand-written.  The query
generator could be optimized.  Nevertheless... is the stack overflow here
considered a bug or a limitation?  If limitation, what specifically is the
limitation?

ij(SAMPLEBASE)> select count(*) from time where time.id in (select time.id
from time, double_sample, band where band.id = double_sample.fk_band_id and
double_sample.fk_time_id = time.id and band.id = 57 union select id from
time where 1 = 0);
1
ERROR 38000: The exception 'java.lang.StackOverflowError' was thrown while
evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
java.lang.StackOverflowError'.

Thanks,
Jim