db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Status (of schema alteration features in Derby)
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:42:29 GMT
> Dropping a column

Can't be done in 10.2, but can be done in the trunk.
DERBY-1489 tracks this feature.

> Changing a column's width
> Changing a column's type

Increasing the width of a VARCHAR, CHAR VARYING, or
CHARACTER VARYING column has been possible since 10.1,
maybe even since 10.0 or earlier.

Other modifications to the column's datatype are not
yet possible. DERBY-1515 tracks this feature. Note that
I'm currently proposing that DERBY-1489 and DERBY-1490
together will provide an adequate solution to this issue.

> Changing a column's null status            Done

Correct. This was DERBY-119, and it is part of 10.2.

> Changing a column's name

This is DERBY-1490. There is a patch available for review,
and I'd love to get some review of the proposed changes.

> Changing a column's primary key status

I think this has been possible since 10.1, or even earlier,
via ALTER TABLE ADD/DROP CONSTRAINT

> Adding/Dropping a column's index

I think this has been possible since 10.1, or even earlier,
via CREATE / DROP INDEX.

> Changing a column's default value

This one is also done in 10.2. This was DERBY-1491.

thanks,

bryan