db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 'Derby Developer's Guide' error?
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:30:06 GMT
michael connor wrote:
> In the 'Derby Developer's Guide' under 'After Installing':
> -- The text refers to 'install.html' being installed with Derby.
> This does not exist in the UNIX binary distribution.  Is
> this Windows specific?

No, there should not be any differences between the contents of the .tar.gz
distribution and the .zip distribution. I think you have found a bug in the
documentation, because install.html does not really exist (correct me if I'm wrong).

> --Also, what does "the Derby development environment"
> mean here? To me this suggests some kind of IDE, and is
> especially confusing when 'environment' is specifically
> defined in the 'Getting started with Derby' manual under
> 'Terminology'

I think this part of Developer's Guide needs to be updated and rephrased. I'm
not sure what the manual page you refer to means by "Derby development
environment". I would think it means the Derby jar files, Java executables,
paths and classpaths, etc. In a different context it would mean the environment
needed for developing Derby itself, though.

For more info on how to get started with Derby, see

a) The Derby tutorial: http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/index.html

b) The "Getting Started with Derby" manual

c) The "Working With Derby" manual

d) The Apache Derby wiki: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/

--
John