db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Newbie question about proper shutdown sequence
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 02:22:04 GMT
Dres Den wrote:
> I'm using Derbie as an embedded database for my single-user,
> single-threaded, single-everything app.
> My question is, if I already do a JDBC close (i.e. Connection.close()),
> do I still have to issue a:
>
> DriverManager.getConnection
> ("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true");

Ideally yes. You will not corrupt any data if you don't, but the next
time you open a connection to the same database roll-foward recovery
will occur, possibly slowing down your startup. The shutdown just
ensures the database is in a consistent state on disk, so that no
recovery is needed.

> (I know that the ensuing SQLException about Derby shutdown is normal).
>
> (PS. I know this is a general JDBC question, but Derby seems like a
> friendlier place to ask! :))

I would say actually you asked in the right place, the shutdown=true is
Derby specific. I'm glad you find this a friendly place. :-)

Dan.