db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Newsham" <jnews...@referentia.com>
Subject hierarchical table with unique constraint
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:17:43 GMT

Hi,

I'd like to create a hierarchical table which references itself and enforces
uniqueness.  For example:

create table node (

  id                  int not null generated always as identity primary key,

  name                varchar(32) not null,

  fk_parent_id        int,

  unique (name, fk_parent_id),

  foreign key (fk_parent_id) references node (id) on delete cascade

);

Every node has a parent node, with the exception of root node(s).  Allowing
fk_parent_id to be null allows for the root node(s) to exist.  By
uniqueness, I mean that there should only be one child node named A for a
given parent node; this is why I include the parent node and the node's name
in the unique constraint.

However, derby fails for the above create statement unless "not null" is
added to the spec for fk_parent_id.  It says that a unique key cannot
contain a nullable field.  Any ideas on accomplishing the above?

Thanks,

Jim