db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jim McNamara" <3rdshiftco...@verizon.net>
Subject re: dialog hangs on referntial exception
Date Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:57:02 GMT
hi-

I figured it out.  I was trying to use a variable in my query string.
while I was researching the problem I came across in the faq
a way to speed up derby.  it said use ? for prepared statements.
I have done this ? with other methods and use a variable too.
I didn't know it would cause that.  Now I will know to always
use ? on an update operation.

thanks very much,
jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim McNamara [mailto:3rdshiftcoder@verizon.net]
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 4:47 PM
To: 'derby-user@db.apache.org'
Subject: dialog hangs on referntial exception

hi-

derby 10.1.3.1 windows

is there some loop trying to commit the sql transaction that causes
a delay?  it cause the dialog to become responsive for a little too
long and then returns control eventually and displays my custom
error message to the user.

can someone please give me a quick tip to avoid this?

btw I really like how easy it is to put a column constraint
to handle integrity.  I once did it with tcl and sqlite and had to use
triggers.

thanks,
jim