thanx al lot,

but i am guessing you meant:

select d.*, e.*, m.* from (department d left outer join employee e on
e.dept_id=d.id) left outer join manager m on e.mgr_id=m.id

Guy

PS: i am not always a wise-guy :-)

On 9/29/06, Ali Demir <demir4@yahoo.com> wrote:
Yes, you can join on any column, FK need not be defined.

Get departments (include those that do not have employees or
managers) and their employees and their managers:

select d.*, e.*, m.* from (department d left outer join employee e on
e.dept_id=d.id) left outer join employee m on e.mgr_id=m.id

will work if PK and FK are not defined. But you may want to have
indexes on your join columns for performance.

Regards,
Ali