db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ali Demir <dem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: OUTER JOIN on more than one table
Date Sat, 30 Sep 2006 03:43:45 GMT
There could be a manager table, but not necessary. Typically, a
manager is also an employee, so the employee table would have a FK
pointing to a PK in the same table. If you keep a separate managers
table it could be hard to move around records and adjust FKs when a
non-manager employee becomes manager.

To accomodate this "table has FK to PK within itself" scenario, you
can write SQL like:

select e.*,m.* from Employee e, Employee m where e.mgr_id=m.id

where all employees, manager or not are kept in the same table.

Regards,
Ali