db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ali Demir <dem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: OUTER JOIN on more than one table
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:06:50 GMT
Yes, you can join on any column, FK need not be defined.

Get departments (include those that do not have employees or
managers) and their employees and their managers:

select d.*, e.*, m.* from (department d left outer join employee e on
e.dept_id=d.id) left outer join employee m on e.mgr_id=m.id

will work if PK and FK are not defined. But you may want to have
indexes on your join columns for performance.

Regards,
Ali