db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FW: Dbase Manager
Date Sat, 23 Sep 2006 03:58:32 GMT
On 9/22/06, Marl Atkins <marl@softlinksys.com> wrote:
>  Well I figured out a work-around.
>
> I just installed the whole Squirrel app into the directory hosting the
> database.
>
> Now if I could figure out how to make simultaneous connections I wouldn't
> have to keep opening and closing it.
> Any ideas? Again, this is an embedded database.

Only one JVM is allowed access a Derby database at a time. In order to
make multiple connections, you should have the embedded application
start the network server when it starts up. This is referred to as an
"embedded server" environment. Access from other JVMs can then be made
using the client driver. See:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/adminguide/radminembeddedserverex.html

So, for example, if you want to access the database with Squirrel
while your applet is running with the database in embedded mode, then
you should have the applet start the network server. You can then
connect with Squirrel using the client driver. The url will be the
same as the embedded URL, but with the addition of the hostname. e.g.
'jdbc:derby:mydb' in embedded becomes 'jdbc:derby://localhost/mydb' in
the client driver.

See the Server and Admin guide and the Developer's guide for more
information on the network server and client.

HTH,
andrew