db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Unicode support
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:22:05 GMT
Ninad Agate wrote:
> Does Derby 10.1 support UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings? I have not been able
> to find this information in the reference docs.
> Thanks.

Derby supports Unicode for CHAR,VARCHAR,CLOB etc. Data is stored in UTF-8 on
disk, and transferred between network client and server in UTF-8.

Currently you can't choose other encodings.

But as seen from your application, Java is Unicode and Derby is Unicode so any
Unicode character may be stored in the database, regardless of the encoding.

Note: Wrt db path names there is a bug:

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway