db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Robert Enyedi <robert.eny...@intland.com>
Subject Re: MySQL TO_DAYS() emulation in Derby
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:39:07 GMT
This is exactly what I've been trying to do. The difficulty which I'm
unable to overcome yet is that the timestamp returned by
java.sql.Date.getTime() is not divisible with the number of miliseconds
in a day (24 * 60 * 60 * 1000). Yet when I create a java.util.Date()
instance with that timestamp, this gives me the 00:00:00 hour of the
desired day (so no time information is in the timestamp).

This puzzles me, so that's why I decided to ask around.

Regards,
Robert

dmclean62@comcast.net wrote:
> Java calendar and date objects work in miliseconds but I think that fields marked as
"date" rather than timestamp just have their hour/minute/second parts set to 0. Even so, it's
fairly easy to roll a timestamp back to 00:00:00. You can then subtract the Date.getTime()
values and divide by 86,400,000 to get days.