db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: how to make create script from existing database?
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:33:33 GMT
Alexander Schatten wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>> Have you looked at the dblook tool? See Derby Tools and Utilities
>> Guide, http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html#docs_10.1,
>> especially http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tools/ctoolsdblook.html
>>

> I have actually similar problems, however the drawback of dblook is,
> that it only creates the DDL and *not* the insert statements containing
> the data of the database, which would be particularly helpful in
> development activities.
>

> from my point of view, this is the nicest feature of hsqldb, and why I
> still prefer to use it in development: It can dump the whole database as
> a script file.

Hi Alex,

You could use the SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_EXPORT_TABLE (or the
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_EXPORT_QUERY) function.
This will dump the table to a file, which can be read back into the
database with SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE. Dumping a database could be
scripted (using for instance Java or a shell script).

If you think a more user-friendly way of doing this is required, for
instance dumping all tables in a schema or database, feel free to add a
new feature request in Jira:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY

I did a quick search, but could not find an existing request.

Regards,
--
Kristian