db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: how to make create script from existing database?
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:38:38 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

> Have you looked at the dblook tool? See Derby Tools and Utilities
> Guide, http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html#docs_10.1,
> especially http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tools/ctoolsdblook.html

I have actually similar problems, however the drawback of dblook is,
that it only creates the DDL and *not* the insert statements containing
the data of the database, which would be particularly helpful in
development activities.

from my point of view, this is the nicest feature of hsqldb, and why I
still prefer to use it in development: It can dump the whole database as
a script file.

this is extremly handy during development, when you continuously change
the database schema. you can then easily change this script file
manually and rebuild the database. this is much more complicated when
using derby.

alex