db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: User community role 10.2 testing of optimizer changes
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:18:30 GMT
Army wrote:

> Users may also want to remember the policy of "scratch your own itch"
> or "fry your own fish": I as a developer tend to have more time and
> inclination to address issues with contributed code closer to the time
> I actually made the contribution.

This is a good point and I bet your immediate  understanding and ability
to turn around fixes is  better when you are actively working on it.
It is really critical that users test the beta now and not later but
already it is very late.  An even earlier partnership between the user
community and development would have greatly reduced the regression risk
for this change.  Folks  who wanted this improvement could have signed
up to test along the way and we could have gotten much more input.  We
treat our user/developer relationship  too much like a fine dining
establishment.  Developers  deliver a dish cooked,  users  take a bite
and see if they like it and then send it back if  they don't.  We need
our users in the kitchen tasting  as we go along.  Army is right. If the
dish is free and the cook was cooking for fun,  it is hard to get a
rebake.  Please test now.

http://people.apache.org/~rhillegas/10.2.1.3-beta/

For other popular performance and feature improvements like  DERBY-47,
I hope we can use  a different  model.  A development/user partnership
where users get the high quality improvements they want by providing
development the testing support needed  along the way and development
communicates where user help is needed and most valuable and where they
are at risk.   We break down the wall between the kitchen and the dining
room and work together to product "consistently high quality software."

For now we need users  urgent help to try 10.2 beta.  It's 5:55 and
dinner is scheduled at 6:00.  We have a feeling  something is wrong but
don't know what it is or what to do about it.   Please come take a taste
before we put it on the table.

Thanks

Kathey