db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject User community role 10.2 testing of optimizer changes
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:09:34 GMT
In the licencing discussion,  I mentioned that we really need more user
feedback before we release 10.2.
Discussion has occurred on the developer list  on that point and is on
this thread.
http://www.nabble.com/10.2-plans-%28was-Re%3A-10.2-licensing-issue%29-tf2256208.html

The summary is that right now the development community is not in a
position to work on any known regression and we should release to
motivate users to try 10.2. Kathy Saunders probably summed it up the
concern best when she said:

"If we really believe we need more testing, then what is that testing
and who is going to do it? "

My opinion is that our overall confidence in the  quality  and
robustness of Derby needs to increase release to release and we should
feel confident about that and should communicate risk in areas that are
likely impacted in terms that users can understand so you can either
adjust your  expectations or do your part to bring your expectations
back to their prior level.  Whether you count on Derby to control your
I.V drip, use it in the critical path of your business,  or just use it
to manage your CD collection, you have the right to know the information
and can then assess whether you want to take your necessary role of
flushing out optimizer issues, before or after the release.     The
summary is this:

There were significant optimizer performance changes in 10.2 that are
taking queries that were running for hours to seconds. (Maybe someone
can point to the data).  These changes involve the optimizer and it is
really not possible to have comprehensive regression tests in this
area.  The changes in my opinion are  worth while, high quality, risky
and regression prone.    We have had optimizer  feedback from a single
user who exposed several issues. Other issues have been exposed by
development.  We have fixed what we can.  We need users  especially
those who have complex or performance sensitive queries to try their
existing applications and give us feedback.  Army can you please give an
overview of the changes from a functional perspective and explain what
types of usage you think could pop issues?  Also I would like your
opinion on the value of such testing from the user community?

Users, please register your results at:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoApplicationTesting

Kathey