db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Large BLOBs
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:57:02 GMT
Robert Enyedi wrote:
> We are planning to use Derby for a database that has large BLOB files
> around 50-60 MB. Can Derby handle such large amount of data by default
> or should we think about certain server configuration changes?

By default, derby can handle such large amount of data.

The network client will, when fetching a BLOB, load the entire BLOB into
memory. The network server, when receiving a BLOB from client, will also
load it into memory before inserting it into the db. This means that you
probably need to increase the max heapsize of the VM to avoid
OutOfMemory errors, or restrict usage to embedded mode.

Regards
Andreas