db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ClassFormatError while performing a SQL insert
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:18:22 GMT
Michael Segel wrote:

> Outch. Missed the first part of Derby's statement.
>
> Ok.
>
> Doesn't make sense though.
> His insert is a batch insert?

No, a single INSERT with a VALUES clause that has multiple rows (I think
he said around 1700).

> Imagine if you had a table where you were inserting a record that was larger
> than 64KB. (Not including blobs) Are you saying that Derby would have failed
> prior to your fix?

No. The record size is not a factor here. It's the size of the generated
 code in a single method. The byte code required to assemble those rows
at runtime from the VALUES clause. The size of any individual value has
no real effect on the size of the byte code, the same amount of byte
code is required to create 'Fred' as 'the complete work of Shakespeare
follows ....'.

Dan.