db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ClassFormatError while performing a SQL insert
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 14:22:10 GMT
Leslie Software wrote:
[snip ClassFormatError with long SQL]

> Is this a known issue?  Is my SQL too long?

Some of this is DERBY-766/DERBY-176 that have been fixed in 10.2, now in
beta and available for testing:

   http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoRelease

Note that beta jars not suitable for production use and create databases
that cannot be upgraded to GA versions.

Most likely that will fix your problem. There is another optimisation
(that I can't find the Jira number for) that will resolve any issues you
may hit with a large number of character constants in a statement (as in
your case). I think the number of rows you have mean you won't hit the
issue.

The other option is use to a single SQL statement per row inserted and
use PreparedStatements. You could use a loop with ps.executeUpdate() to
insert many rows, or ps.addBatch().

insert into ruling (card_id, ruling_date, ruling) values (?,?,?)

Dan.