db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <home4...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Using Apache DBCP and Tomcat with Derby - database shutdown?
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 22:17:39 GMT
Whoops, sorry about that last reply .. .sticky fingers.  I was too hasty on my previous(previous)
response.
Although the below appears to work it does not.  The reason being in my Tomcat server.xml
I am trying
to use the Apache DBCP Basic Data source.

<Resource name="jdbc/derby" type="javax.sql.DataSource" auth="Container" description="Derby
airlinesDB database"/>
<!-- Resource parameters for the Derby database -->
  <ResourceParams name="jdbc/derby">
  <parameter>
   <name>factory</name>
  </parameter>

When I try to shut down the database using the code below I get this exception:

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource
 at org.apache.derby.demo.persistence.DerbyDatabase.shutdown(DerbyDatabase.java:85)
 at org.apache.derby.demo.persistence.DataFactory.contextDestroyed(DataFactory.java:132)

I suppose I could change the factory parameter to org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDataSource,
but as I
mentioned I wanted to use the DBCP BasicDataSourceFactory.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Susan