db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Leslie Software <lesliesoftw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ClassFormatError while performing a SQL insert
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 16:01:36 GMT
Thanks.  I'll either break it up into smaller chunks or use the prepared statement approch.

To beta test the 10.2 can I replace my current jars and just use a copy of an old database
as a test or do I need to start with a new one.  I would like to give it a try.

It sounds like I would be better off inserting in a different way though.

Ian

--
Ian Leslie - Shareware Author (mailto:lesliesoftware@yahoo.com)

----- Original Message ----
From: Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org>
<snip>> Is this a known issue?  Is my SQL too long?

Some of this is DERBY-766/DERBY-176 that have been fixed in 10.2, now in
beta and available for testing:

   http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoRelease

Note that beta jars not suitable for production use and create databases
that cannot be upgraded to GA versions.

Most likely that will fix your problem. There is another optimisation
(that I can't find the Jira number for) that will resolve any issues you
may hit with a large number of character constants in a statement (as in
your case). I think the number of rows you have mean you won't hit the
issue.

The other option is use to a single SQL statement per row inserted and
use PreparedStatements. You could use a loop with ps.executeUpdate() to
insert many rows, or ps.addBatch().

insert into ruling (card_id, ruling_date, ruling) values (?,?,?)

Dan.