db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Jue" <teamp...@gmail.com>
Subject Best Practice: Embedded Derby Location?
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:13:26 GMT
Hi,

I would like to use Derby to store some web application meta-info, and
I think I'd like to have it embedded (only my web app's POJOs will
access it).  It's gonna store simple text like menu urls and global
user preferences, which I was previously storing in XML files deployed
with my project.  The db will also have tables for saving user
settings.  From what I understand, there is a way to use the embedded
database so that port 1527 is not opened, which is what I want.

I am using Eclipse, Tapestry and Tomcat 5.5.  Should the Derby db
folder structure reside somewhere in my application's web context
(i.e. packaged in my .WAR)?  Or should it be somewhere outside the
application, like C:\MyDerbyDBFolder ?

I guess with the database outside the web app, I can re-deploy without
overwriting the database.  Is this what you thin web app developers
are doing?

BTW, right now I have the Derby.jar included in my project's lib
folder, not in Tomcat's shared lib dir.

Dan