db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Pedro Dinis" <di...@mentesvirtuais.com>
Subject reset SM_ID value
Date Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:08:16 GMT
I've a table which has lots of inserts and deletes (400 inserts/second) and
where primary key is something  like this:

CREATE TABLE  WORK2 (

SM_ID INT NOT NULL GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY (START WITH 1, INCREMENT BY
1),

MID VARCHAR(32),

(.)

);

With this kind of primary key definition I know that will be a time when the
column SM_ID will reach the maximum value that a Java int value  can have-
2147483647 (java.lang.Integer.MAX_VALUE) .

So how can I resolve this problem?

I know that this table , WORK2, from time to time will be totally empty, so
my first  idea was to reset the counter that SM_ID column is using back to 1
when the table has no lines. This way, next new line to be inserted on WORK2
will have SM_ID = 1.. But I don't know how to do this via JDBC.

Many thanks,

P.Dinis.